The Long Dark — Sandbox Mode Feature & Content Roadmap
Please note that this list is aspirational, and intended to provide an overview of the development team’s intentions for the game as it evolves. It is not a promise or guarantee that these features will be added within the outlined intervals, or that they will be added at all.
The list is not presented in any particular order, so there is no implied priority. “Windows” are provided to give a sense of how far out we think a feature or area of content might be, if we choose to tackle it.
Keep in mind that this is a living list, and as such will constantly change. Things will be added, moved, and removed. Also, this list is not meant to be all-encompassing — at any given time, we are likely working on things that are not on this list. And finally, we may also work on things in secret and exclude this from the list so that they are more of a surprise!
WARNING: Although we strive to keep this list as spoiler-free as possible, please keep in mind that by reading this list you may be spoiling the surprise if and when some of these features do end up being implemented.
Roadmap Version: 1.2 (Updated August 16, 2016)
(Sandbox Update released Sept. 23, 2016)
Next Update (ASPIRATIONAL ***IT IS POSSIBLE NOT ALL OF THIS WILL MAKE IT INTO THE NEXT UPDATE ***)
- New Experience Mode
- The Hunted, Part 2
- Coastline & “Beachcombing” Gameplay
- Archery Skill
- First-Person Presence: Light Sources
- Decoy Exploit Fix
- UI improvements
- Specific world art improvements
- Modifications to persistent Feats
***Please note that approximately 2/3 of the development team is dedicated to Story Mode work, which has an impact on the frequency and scope of Sandbox updates.
NEAR TERM (1-6 Month Window)
- Improved Cooking; more of the cooking action happens in-game (vs. in menus); cooking happens in game-time (i.e. not accelerated time), so you can multi-task.
- Frostbite affliction
- Axe (tool)
- Wellbeing system (i.e. mental/emotional cost of survival; “willpower locket” fits in here)
- Aurora gameplay effects & hazards
- Widespread narrative collectibles
- Backer naming and writing rewards integrated into game world
- Primitive firemaking skill (ex. bow-drill)
- Improved first-person presence (low-hanging fruit)
- Improved Sprains
- Improved Infections
- New Clothing system & all new Clothing assets
- NPCs in the Sandbox
- Parley system
- Improved firemaking (blowing mechanic; first-person presence)
- Non-map based Navigation system
- Knowledge system
- Improved first-person presence (more complex interactions)
- Snowshoes or Nordic skis?
- Steam Trading Cards
MEDIUM TERM (6-12 Month Window)
- Mod support
- Spring Sandbox
- Moving water
- Improved Fishing
- Wolfpack behaviour
- Wildlife interactions (ex. Wolves vs. Bears)
- Grizzly Bear
- Sandbox survivor personas (characters?)
- VR Experience
- Crafting for safehouse customization
- Crafting for clothing customization
- Gunsmithing & ammunition crafting
LONG TERM (12+ Month Window // R&D)
- Full-season survival Sandbox (transitioning from season to season)
- New travel options: Canoe, Horse
- Seamless world streaming
- Long-distance travel
- Sandbox AI community social dynamics